Job Title: Patron Services Associate (part-time)
Reports To: Library Director
Kirkland Town Library Statement of Purpose:
The mission of the Kirkland Town Library is to provide equitable access to information and resources that educate, engage and inspire the community.
General Statement of Duties:
To support the mission and vision of the Kirkland Town Library. The Patron Services Associate follows the policies and practices established by the Library Board of Trustees and the Library Director.
The Patron Services Associate is often the first contact people have with the library. As such, they must display exemplary customer service and maintain a friendly, responsive and helpful manner. The Patron Services Associate equitably and effectively helps patrons access and use library services and resources within the parameters of established library procedures.
- Demonstrate competence in web-catalog searching and circulation procedures
- Provide individual attention and assistance, as required, to meet the needs of patrons
- Refer patrons to appropriate library staff, resources or use of equipment
- Understand and maintain the organizational structure of materials in the library
- Be familiar with and provide general support to services and programs offered by the library
- Understand and adhere to library policies, procedures and laws related to library service, particularly those relating to library users’ confidentiality
- Communicate appropriately and in a timely fashion with director and fellow staff members
- Obtain coverage of scheduled shift when necessary
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions
Examples of Duties:
- Handle all aspects of material circulation: charging, renewing, and locating materials for patrons
- Handle all aspects of material return: discharging, checking condition, sorting carts and drop box
- Assure accurate placement of materials when re-shelving and when shelf-reading
- Answer telephone and assist caller promptly and appropriately
- Place and track material reserves
- Create and maintain patron accounts
- Assist patrons with Mid-York web catalog and basic computer functions
- Provide directional information to patrons who call or visit the Library
- Assist patrons with their use of the copier, fax machine and other public equipment
- Offer preliminary help on patron inquires, forwarding to reference staff when appropriate
- Maintain cash box and collect money for lost books, sale items, etc.
- Perform opening & closing procedures for start and end of the day
- Up-keep of the circulation area and public spaces to maintain an orderly appearance
- Assist with record-keeping associated with library services & programs
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong customer-service skills; ability to interact pleasantly and non-judgmentally with a diverse clientele
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Ability to follow procedures consistently
- Proficient computer and internet skills, and openness to learning emerging technologies
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team
- Maintain effective working relationships with director, associates and the general public
- Flexibility and willingness to embrace changing approaches & practices
Desirable Knowledge and Abilities:
- Passion for libraries and their mission, particularly the public library
- Understanding of library services, layout and organization
- Previous customer-service work experiences
- Proficiency with digital devices and social media platforms
- General office skills such as scheduling, filing, and data entry
Physical Demands: The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Ability to continuously stand or walk and have the stamina to work long hours, if assigned. Ability to bend, squat, kneel, reach, climb stairs and lift frequently. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally. Ability to push a loaded book truck weighing up to 300 pounds. Must be able to see and hear in the normal range, with or without correction, and communicate verbally and in written form with great facility and must be able to be understood.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma; keyboarding skills
Hours determined by library needs and schedule. Includes evening and occasional weekend hours.
Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 19, 2023.